Friday, April 29, 2011

my homage to Will and Kate

With all of the hullabaloo surrounding Will and Kate's wedding, I thought it would be fun to craft something up relating to their big event.  The most obvious image I could think of was the British flag, and although it's a great flag and all, I didn't really want one as a home decoration.  So I came up with my "I do." pillow.  I'd never made a pillow before, but I am very pleased with how simple and rewarding it was to make! 


First thing I did after cutting the fabric (it's a sort of linen look a like that I cut to 17 1/2 x 10 1/2), was freezer paper stencil my lettering on.  


I drew my letters with a black sharpie on the dull side of a piece of freezer paper.



Then I used an exacto knife to cut out the black parts being sure to keep the insides of the letters for later!


Next I ironed the stencil and extra pieces shiny side down on my fabric and painted on my brown.  I tried not to paint it super thick or thorough because I wanted a more aged look.




Once it dried, I peeled off my stencil (it comes off really easily with no residue!) and made my pillow!  I'm not even going to pretend like I knew what I was doing.  I just used the few simple sewing techniques I know:  pin right sides together, sew a straight line, clip corners, turn inside out, stuff with poly-fil and hand stitch closed. 
And voila!  I'm so proud!





This literally took me maybe an hour all told.  I know I set out to create an homage to Will and Kate, but in the end it's more for my hubby so that he never forgets that I still "do"!  


Hope you liked it, and I really think you should make one because believe me, if I can do it - you definitely can!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!! Great job!!! :)

B.Cheniful said...

Great idea! I'm in a wedding this summer and this is just the kind of thing the bride would LOVE. Thanks for the inspiration!

If you get a chance, please check out http://bcheniful.blogspot.com/

Brandi at B.Cheniful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...