Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Simple DIY Fathers' Day

Celebrating a special day with a toddler is kind of like playing Russian roulette.  It could be a wonderful, love-filled day in which your little one seems to spew hugs and kisses.  Or it could be one of those days where they act as though the sky is falling at every. single. moment.  and anywhere in between.  This Fathers' Day was a little more on the sky is falling side of the spectrum.  Gotta love the twos!  There were some bright spots, however, and we made it through, hopefully with daddy feeling a bit of extra love.
And a celebration isn't quite a celebration if there isn't a little DIY involved, am I right?
I've fallen pretty hard for sending little parties in a box.  I first learned about the idea from You are my Fave and have been waiting for a chance to send one too!  My dad lives out of state so I seized the opportunity.



Contents (top to bottom, left to right):
1.  We heart Welo banner (Welo is short for abuelo)
2.  Cupcake toppers (at the end of my instructions for him I told him to go to a bakery near by where I had pre-ordered cupcakes for him to pick up)
3.  paper straws (Target)
4.  My instruction booklet for how to set up the party (my dad is pretty much a genius, but he needs these instructions)
5.  Confetti
6.  A pre-folded Tissue paper pom-pom

As for my hubby, he woke up to this in the living room:


Nothing extravagant, but that's kind of how I like it these days.  Both the dot garland and the banner were made out of construction paper with the help of my toddler.  Call me old school but construction paper is one of my favorite things to create out of because it has a sort of worn-ness to it that gives off a vintage feel.

And this was his gift (aside from the ipad keyboard he got for himself)... 



I simply got a white mug from the dollar store and used acrylic paint markers for the design.  I "cured" it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  I'm sure you've seen this all over Pinterest, but let me tell you from experience - you cannot use a regular sharpie and cure it in the oven.  It will wash off.

And that was pretty much it.  Almost everything of what I made I already had on hand! Winning!  

I have to share this one, albeit blurry, picture because although it was a bit of a challenging day with our kiddos, the blessing of it is that we were together and I don't take that lightly.  My husband actually went out and bought our son his first bike so that they could share that on Fathers' Day.  He's sweet like that.  



 I hope you had a lovely weekend, I'd love to hear about the memories you made too!  Until next time...





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...