Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lucia Sews: Nursing Cover

Dear friends, although I have not posted in a couple of days, that does not mean I haven't still been crafting!  No, my journey to becoming Lucia continues, and I am happy to announce that I have been making some progress!  

I give you ...  the Nursing Cover!  


Don't you love this Vera Bradley look-alike?  Thank you Joanne!    
I used the pattern mentioned in my earlier post, "DIY baby gifts".  What I love about this cover is that it is extra wide for great coverage, and it has boning sewed into the top hem to allow for air flow and the ability to actually see your little one.

I would call my first project a success, but it was definitely not without its struggles.  Virtually every step I did, I had to do twice.  And because I don't have the right equipment that every sewer should have, it took A LOT of time to measure and cut even somewhat accurately.

This is a great project for a beginner.  Basically all you have to do is cut out a big square and two rectangles and sew!  If you're new to sewing, here are a few nuggets of wisdom I've gleaned from the process.  I hope they help!

1.  If you are planning on sewing for any length of time, get a tall work table.  You're back will thank you later!

2.  Measure twice, cut once.  The Golden Rule of sewing!  (Or if you're like me, measure once, cut twice, and try again.)

3.  Move over Fido, there's a new best friend in town, and his name is the SEAM RIPPER!  It allows you to go back and take out your sewing boo-boos.  It's a must.  Buy it and love it!


4.  If you plan to make sewing a hobby, there are 3 tools you should really invest in (aside from the seam ripper) to keep your cuts clean and accurate:  a rotary mat, rotary cutter, and ruler.    


5.  When pinning your fabric use a pin cushion!  If not, your pins will end up on the floor... twice if you're me.

6.  Whenever you find your next project, read the directions all the way through... 4 times!  You can never be too familiar with the steps.  If not you end up with an uh-oh like this:  


7.  And finally, Relax!  There's nothing that can't either be undone or redone.  Have fun and take you're time.  Stuck on a term?  Google it.  Scared of your sewing machine?  Break out the manual and wear it out with use.  When all else fails and you just don't know what to do, kidnap the nearest grandma (she doesn't even have to be yours, they're all innate sewers!)

Now go out and get sewing!

Ciao,
Lucia




1 comment:

kate said...

This is cute too! Thanks for the invite to your party, I'll be sure to come back! Your blog is super cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...